6/10/11

21 Jump Street

This post was motivated by @hollyrpeete's new profile pic on Twitter. Although the show ran from 1987 - 1991, it wasn't until the last two years - at the ages of 9 and 10 - that I got acquainted with it. Through the magic of videotape (oy, I'm old.) I was able to catch everything I missed. My little behind was too cool for school thinking that I was Holly Robinson's Officer Judy. As if!

Anyway, if you don't already know, 21 Jump Street centered around an undercover police unit composed of young looking officers specializing in youth crime. Holly Robinson  (Peete not yet added) was part of a multicultural cast that included Johnny Depp, Dustin Nguyen and Peter DeLuise. A multicultural cast that will not transition to the 2012 remake. Last I heard, the only actor of color cast thus far for the remake is Ice Cube in the role of Captain Dickson. The equivalent of Ms. Peete's character will be played by a very blonde Brie Larson. Although I don't have anything against Ms. Larson (I'm not even familiar with her work), it's insulting that the role did not go to one of the many, many, MANY talented black actresses in Hollywood today. Hello Raven Symone, or many of the other suggestions made by Black Voices Online this past February.

Honestly, I think I'll stick to the DVD and pass on the remake.

For your viewing and listening pleasure, I present to you the theme song. My favorite part is that last '21111 Jump Street!' bit.





No comments: